It is important to know that in the majority of the cases, having memory disorders is not a pathological condition, instead, it derives from the lifestyle of the patient or it is a symptom of other diseases. In these cases, memory disorders might even be reversible by terminating the causes.
Memory disorders can be caused by metabolic disorders, high blood pressure (hypertonia), a head injury, the use of sleeping pills or drugs, as well as problems with the patient’s lifestyle, such as poor sleep quality or untreated stress. As proven by research in the last few years, the condition and deviations of the microbiome in the intestines correlate with certain neurological disorders as well.
Therefore, it is of great importance to be examined as soon as possible if the patient perceives a decline in his/her memory or experiences difficulty with thinking skills during his/her daily life.
The typical symptoms of memory disorders:
The early detection of memory disorders can be facilitated by the knowledge of the 10 typical symptoms, courtesy of the US Alzheimer’s Association:
1. Memory loss that disrupts daily life, such as forgetting names, dates, appointments, requests.
2. Challenges in planning or solving problems.
3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home or at the workplace.
4. Confusion with time or place.
5. Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships.
6. New problems with words in speaking or writing.
7. Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps.
8. Decreased or poor judgement, difficulty with decision-making, uncertainty in familiar, daily situations.
9. Withdrawal from work or social activities.
10. Changes in mood and personality.
With the help of neurological examinations and neuropsychological testing, the type of the memory disorder and the treatment needed for the patient can be determined in a short time. Thus, if you experience any of the 10 symptoms, visit the specialists of MIND Clinic as soon as possible.
In case of memory disorders, book an appointment with the following specialist of our Clinic:
Dr. Tibor Kovács - neurologist
Take the first step towards your recovery: book an appointment by calling us on +36 70 905 30 80 or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the button below to book an appointment online or write an email or call us.